Study Options

When are your intakes?

SAE has three intakes per year: January, May, and September. Short courses and certificates courses may have different intake timings - contact your campus for further information.

Are your courses recognised overseas?

All SAE degree and VET courses are accredited by the Australian government. This means that the qualifications you receive upon graduation are recognised all around Australia and internationally.

Do you have night-time/part-time courses?

Some part-time courses are delivered in the evenings. Some diploma and degree units may also have classes scheduled during the evening, typically between 6.00-9.00pm. Contact your campus directly if you require further information. 

Do you offer distance education?

SAE offers online distance education course options. For further information, please visit our Online (Aus) page.

How much practical time will I get?

All SAE courses have a focus on practical, hands-on delivery. The amount of practical time you experience during your studies does vary, depending on your course. You will also have opportunities to access campus resources and facilities outside of class time, during campus opening hours. 

I have no background in this subject, will I cope?

We carefully design and deliver all our units to help you develop the knowledge you need to be successful in your chosen field of study. Courses and course units at SAE follow best practice teaching and learning.

I don't have a Senior Secondary Certificate of Education (SSCE). What options are there for me?

At SAE we recognise that preparation for study does not always need to be restricted to formal education attainment. Contact your campus to discuss your alternative entry options. 

What is the relationship between the theoretical and practical aspects of my course?

Successful creative media graduates need both practical skills and theoretical knowledge. It is important to know the "how" and the "why" of your industry. SAE courses are specifically designed to give you practical expertise and a solid theoretical foundation.

When is the next Open Day?

Upcoming Open Day details can be found on our Events page.

My Application

Do I need any prerequisite knowledge to study at SAE?

A balanced program of subjects in your senior studies is the best preparation for our programs. If you are interested in visual aspects of creative media (animation, graphic design, web design) then visual art is a great preparation. If you are interested in audio production, then music performance or production is ideal. Mathematics is great for games programming. English, especially story-telling and drama, is ideal for film making.

What are the entry requirements for me to study at SAE?

Entry requirments for SAE courses can be found in the Key Facts section of your relevant course page.

What is the application process?

You can apply for SAE courses quickly and easily online. Go to our How to Apply page for further information.

What should I expect or prepare for the Alternative Entry process?

Alternative entry options are avaiable to both domestic and international students. For further information, contact your campus to discuss your alternative entry options.

Where can I get an application form and how do I apply?

Fill in an enquiry form and our Admissions Advisor will contact you shortly to help you with your application.

Why do you need hardcopies of my documents?

Copies of your supporting documents are required for accreditation and auditing requirements. 

When do applications close for each intake?

Applications will be assessed for eligibility up to the advertised commencement date of the course. Places in the course are capped and filled according to date-received priority. The earlier your application is made, the more likely you are to receive a placement. If you are unable to commence the course on the scheduled date, you may postpone commencement by contacting Student Services at your campus.

Where can I get help with my visa application?

If you are applying for a visa sponsored by SAE, you will need to contact us to ask for assistance.

If you are applying for a visa through a parent or employer you may require an official document from us stating details on your studies. This will be provided on request.

How much does my student visa cost?

Laws in the United Arab Emirates require all non-national students to obtain a visa for the duration of their studies. Student visas can be issued by the college for duration of 12 months; hence an undergraduate student may require 2 or 3 renewals during their course.

The procedure for applying for a Student Visa cannot commence until you have accepted your Offer of Admission and paid your tuition fees along with the Student Visa Charges outlined below. The process normally takes 15-20 days and typically applications undergo a security check by UAE government authorities. You are advised to apply as early as possible if you require a Student Visa.

The fees for Student Visa services are as follows:

  If the student is outside the UAE If the student is inside the UAE Visa Renewal
Visa Fee


AED 7,827.50


AED 9,455.00

AED 4,840.50

Security Deposit

(Refundable after the visa is cancelled)

AED 2,000.00

(included at above fee)

AED 2,000.00

(included at above fee)


The following documents are required for your Student Visa application:

1. Passport Size color Photo with white back ground 2 No’s.

2. Original Passport (If applicant in UAE) or passport copy.

3. Student undertaking Letter

Can I work in Dubai with a student visa?

Unfortuantely under current immigration rules you can not be paid to work while holding a student visa. You may undertake unpaid work or internships. If you have any questions about this please contact us.

My Enrolment

What do I do if I want to defer or leave?

If you wish to defer, you will be required to contact Student Services at your campus and complete a Cessation of Studies form.

What happens if I withdraw or I don't complete my studies?

You must withdraw prior to census date in order to be eligible for a refund of tuition fees. If you have not paid your fees and withdraw after the census date, you will incur a debt. Non-completion of studies does not normally entitle a student to any refund.

What is the Census Date?

The census date is the last day you can withdraw from a unit without incurring any financial or academic penalty for that unit of study. The census date is usually set at 20% of the study period for each trimester and will be published in advance. The census dates are usually the Thursday of week 2 of each trimester. However, if you are concerned please contact us.

What is the maximum time I can defer?

The maximum time you are able to defer study is 12 months. After that you will be cancelled from your course.

What if I change my mind? Can I pull out of my course once I start?

Financial penalties will apply to students who leave their courses after the allocated census date.

Fees and Payments

What happens if I withdraw or I don't complete my studies?

You must withdraw prior to census date in order to be eligible for a refund of tuition fees. If you have not paid your fees and withdraw after the census date, you will incur a debt. Non-completion of studies does not normally entitle a student to any refund.

When do I need to pay my tuition fees?

Your tuition fees are due prior to the trimester start date. Please contact us if you need more specific dates.

How much does a course at SAE cost?

For further information on tution fees visit the fees and payments page.

What financial assistance is available for your course?

SAE offers scholarships to outstanding creative media applicants and those in financial need. You can find information on the scholarships page.

What are my payment options?

You may elect to pay tuition fees using one of the following methods:

  • Cheque
  • Visa or Mastercard
  • Electronic Transfer or Direct Deposit

For more information, go to Fees and Payments.

Student Services

What support networks do you have in place for people with a disability or special learning needs?

SAE is committed to providing equal opportunities for students with disabilities or special learning needs. For more information visit Student Services

Student Life

Approximately how many students are in a class?

This can vary depending on the campus and course. You may, for example, have a larger lecture group for common units, and a smaller tutorial group of 8-15 students. In most cases tutorial sizes average  15 - 30 students.

Can I work whilst studying?

Students who are well organised find casual or part-time work most manageable.

How often will I need to be on campus?

This is dependant on how many units you study per trimester. You should expect to be on campus one day a week per unit of study. If, for example, you are completing your studies via the full time fast track mode, you should expect to be on campus four days a week.

My Studies

Can I come in and work on assessments on the weekend?

Students can access campus facilities during opening hours. Please contact your campus for timings.

How do I get a new email password?

You can have your email password reset by emailing the request through to Qaiser.

How many days do I have to lodge a Special Consideration form?

You have 10 days after the due date to lodge a Special Consideration form.

What is Alumni?

SAE Alumni is a network of SAE graduates. When you graduate, you will have the opportunity to join the global Alumni Association as well as the Australia & New Zealand Alumni Association. See some of our Alumni here.

Who do I give medical certificates to?

If you need to provide a medical certificate for any reason, please ensure that you provide this to the Student Services Advisor on campus.

How much study is required outside school time?

A full time fast track study load is defined as 40 hours per week. Of this 40 hours you can expect 12-15 hours of face-to-face teaching time. The additional hours of study include collaborative work (i.e. recording sessions) and individual study time.

How do I extend my visa?

Visa extensions are subject to approval by the Department of Immigration and TECOM. If you need to extend your visa, you must apply to SAE. For information about visa extensions and renewals please visit reception or email us to request assistance.

Facilities and Equipment

Do I need a computer or laptop to study the Course?

Yes. All students will need to purchase a laptop to support their studies. SAE can help you with this at the start of each trimester.

Do you have accommodation on campus/Can you tell me about local accommodation?

Unfortunately, we don't offer accomodation on campus. For information on all other accommodation options contact us

Is your equipment industry standard?

Yes! We consult with industry on a regular basis and update our resources as required.

What are the campus opening hours?

Opening hours are generally 9.00am–9.00pm from Sunday to Wednesday, 9am-6pm on Thursday, and 10am-5pm on Saturday.

What is the situation with parking on campus?

Knowledge Village provides a significant amount of parking. This can get filled during the busy periods so it is suggested that you arrive at campus early.

What software will I be using?

You will use a variety of industry standard and specialised software applications relevant to your study. 

What time can I collect the film gear?

You can collect and drop off film gear during our normal opening hours. 

When do the studios open?

Typically, studios open between 9.00-10.00am. Studio opening hours can vary throughout the trimester according to demand. Please contact us for more information on opening hours and studio availability.